This Is How Much Money Automakers Lost Building EVs Last Year

Michael Accardi
by Michael Accardi

Global automakers have recorded billions in losses as the industry pivots from earlier electric-vehicle growth plans due to slowing demand in key markets and shifting regulatory and political conditions.


The latest and largest charge comes from Stellantis, which disclosed $26.5 billion in writedowns during the second half of 2025. The announcement sent shares of the Dodge, Jeep, and Ram parent company tumbling more than 20 percent, dragging the stock to its lowest level in six years.


Stellantis CEO Antonio Filosa said what most of us have been thinking: the writedown is “the cost of over-estimating the pace of the energy transition”. Filosa pointed to changing consumer demand, evolving emissions rules in the United States, and a need to rebalance the company’s product portfolio as key factors behind the move.

Stellantis is far from alone. Ford announced in December that it would take a $19.5 billion writedown tied to its EV operations, while also cancelling several electric models and quickly shoveling cash back toward gasoline and hybrid vehicles.


Not to be left behind, General Motors followed in January, revealing a $6 billion charge related to scaling back EV investments, including $4.2 billion in cash costs tied to supplier contract cancellations and settlements.


In Europe, Volkswagen revealed a $6 billion hit connected to a major restructuring at Porsche. That play delayed or killed several planned electric models in favor of extending the life of hybrid and internal-combustion offerings, and included an impairment charge of about $3.5 billion.


In total, global automakers have booked $55 billion in charges related to rolling back their EV operations.

Image: Jeep

Our Take:


Across the industry, legacy automakers are facing pressure from newer, Chinese competitors that have been quicker to bring lower-cost EVs to market. Ford's continued bleeding in the EV space is clearly compelling the automaker to explore partnering with one of these established Chinese EV makers like Geely or Xiaomi. You just can't keep losing $20 billion a year.


EV adoption has slowed to a crawl in the United States, and at the same time, automakers seem to have discovered that listening to the people who plan to spend their money on their products might be a good idea. Everyone is scrambling to bring hybrids online and reintroduce cost-conscious internal combustion vehicles as average buyers are rapidly dropping out of the new vehicle market.


Become an AutoGuide insider. Get the latest from the automotive world first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

Michael Accardi
Michael Accardi

An experienced automotive storyteller and accomplished photographer known for engaging and insightful content. Michael also brings a wealth of technical knowledge—he was part of the Ford GT program at Multimatic, oversaw a fleet of Audi TCR race cars, ziptied Lamborghini Super Trofeo cars back together, went over the wall during the Rolex 24, and wrenched in the intense IndyCar paddock.

More by Michael Accardi

Comments
Join the conversation
 5 comments
  • Txclyde1 Txclyde1 on Feb 08, 2026

    It says that consumers demands changed causing this .Thats bullschiff there was NEVER A DEMAND FOR EVS , conversely it was just the opposite.The last administration tried to force EVs on Americans by dictatorial policies from the epa(👎) through impossible emissions and mileage requirements .The vast majority of Americans don’t want ev’s and the sales show it as well as the horrendous depreciation .🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

    • See 1 previous
    • Clr169080370 Clr169080370 on Feb 11, 2026

      That's a cute way of spinning the reality of the past 19 years of (modern) EV availability (since the Feb of 2008 when the Tesla Roadster went on public sale). The actual truth is that so much of our global energy generation infrastructure is built around fossil fuels that major incumbents, not customers, do not want to change from what they have *now* which doesn't cost anything more to keep doing. Be that a power provider, a vehicle manufacturer or otherwise. And your comment that 'dictatorial policies' were applied to 'force EVs' on 'Americans' (I place all these specific words in notation because this is a global process, not a single nations) is a funny way to misrepresenting governmental fiscal support for modernizing a flagging national energy supply and usage structure. Am I correct that in the understanding of your spin that if we were currently living in a world supported by 200 years of Solar Power generation and EVs that if a government created fiscal programs to offer support for the a newly developing Petrol transition you'd spin that in the same way?




  • Jus169108534 Jus169108534 on Feb 11, 2026

    Agree that there never was much consumer demand for EV's. Government was trying to force it on us. Did they win the election, NO! We spoke! Only made sense (possibly) for city bound wealthy people with garages to install the charging stuff. Provide hybrids with a 20 year, 200,000 mile warranty on the battery (with no more than 10% degradation) and I might check it out.

    • Dav82321048 Dav82321048 on Feb 12, 2026

      Agreed, EV demand was never high on anyone's list that I know of. Give me one for free and sure, I'll drive the tires off it around town, but there's no incentive for me to sell one of my current gas cars to make room for an EV. On the flip side I might be tempted by a Hybrid because where I live major cities can be 700 miles apart along a highway that has very limited charging stations that I would not be interested in using anyway.


Next